Well, The NAMM Show 2014 has come and gone but the follow-up is just getting started. NAMM week in Southern California has to be one of the craziest, most hectic scenes around. As many of you already know this huge show brings together the music industry like no other. Long established brands, emerging new brands and cutting edge products, distributors, retailers, legendary music icons and artists, upcoming fresh new artists and tons of wannbe rocks stars too. In other words, it’s the whos-who of the industry. We have been fortunate over the past few years to be part of the scene along with nearly 100,000 of our closest friends!
It’s been a couple of months since the show, so it’s well past time to talk about some updates. One of the things we hoped to gather from the show was to highlight trends and products that would be of broad interest to all of our readers. The sheer quantity and variety of this show makes it impossible to cover everything. One thing I can tell you for certain is that CCM, or the Christian music genre itself is getting a lot of attention. (Don’t get me started on why an entire ‘genre’ of music is defined by lyrical content not musical style…that will be another article). With that growing attention and understanding of what a huge market this could be, solutions are being developed to help better support some of the unique needs of the church.
Before this gets too long I want to summarize some of the things you’ll see going forward. During NAMM, we sought out interesting items and trends that will help some interesting content to the site.
- Ukuleles! You may have also noticed that over the past couple years, the interest in this tiny instrument has grown a lot. This was clearly evident at the show and we plan to look a little deeper into some of the options available to you. One factory tour has already been completed and there are plans to see at least 2 more this year.
- Services supporting worship musicians and production. For example, our friends at Ultimate Ears have introduced a program specifically designed to support and coach worship leaders through it’s UE University service. Industry veteran Rick Muchow (former worship leader for Saddleback Church) is a driving force and we look forward to spending more time with Rich and others to get the inside scoop.
- Portable Bluetooth speakers. There are a ton of these things out there and if it works out, we want to talk about some of the options and compare a few. If you have a specific one you are interested in let us know!
- Product reviews from a Worship leader or staff perspective. Working with some leaders in our church, we’ll get some insights on what works and what might be worth avoiding. There will be some emphasis on affordable solutions over the higher cost stuff.
- Editorial content of what it means to be a Christian in an industry that is often just the opposite. There are so many worldly forces pulling against us how do these folks integrate their Christian values as business owners and leaders? One example is a very well known guitar company where the only “literature” we saw on the tables for folks to take were Christian tracks! Talk about reaching those in need. More to come on this. It’s a big topic and one we want to present accurately and clearly. That’s not easy.
There will likely be more as we go. These are big goals for 2014 that accompany the thought of a site design, adding user forums and also highlighting some contributing photographers as we continue to provide some of the best CCM event photography out there. Time is the biggest factor and the one thing we have never done is rush anything here. Hang in there with us and we’ll make it happen together!
Here’s a few photos from The NAMM Show 2014. More to come! Be blessed.